Thursday, April 06, 2006

Are we there yet?

ROAD TRIP - USA

This weekend, we are taking yet another road trip! I *heart* road trips. It means I get to spend time with my husband and my kids all while seeing new places and new faces.

I asked George if we could go to Detroit, MI. The Motor City. When I first came over to this country, we lived for a short while in the suburbs of Detroit and, seeing as we haven't been back there for a while I thought it would be fun.

Both the kids think otherwise. They see it as 3.5 hours, 203 miles of captivity, listening to music only we like, in general - PURE HELL.

Oh well.

I think it will be fun.

We'll stop (countless times due to my ever weakening bladder) at various rest stops that will probably look as delightful as this:

Rest room


First, we'll drive past our old house in Ferndale. Can you believe we lived there? 8 Mile (Eminem's film) and Woodward to be more precise. We were there for about 6 months, then moved to a more er........safe? neighborhood in Sterling Heights for about 9 months.

Though we only lived in Michigan briefly, for me, it brings back loads of memories. I learned to drive 'on the wrong side of the road' for the first time, I had to make new friends which back then was made more difficult as I still hadn't perfected my accent so it could be understood, I had my first jobs and had to learn the 'American way of life' - which also included the unbelievable fact that most people don't go out and drink alcohol during their lunch hour! ??????????

Mad!

We will be eating at our old favorite restaurants, checking out the old schools, blah blah blah......

I'm all for moving to the future but it's nice to check out the past too once in a while.

So that's what we are doing this weekend.

What are you up to?

No comments: