Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Dear Life, Please slow down!

Lately, lots of things have been going on in my little old world (as you would know, if you read my blog as and when I post).

Literally, in the past month alone, I have visited Switzerland, skydived from 10,500 feet, had the removal of The Worlds Largest Appendix EVER, been to Las Vegas, worked my arse off immediately upon my arrival back from said Vegas trip, gone to Columbus for a class then right down to Xenia (where I used to live to visit a very good friend), had a small stress out hearing not good news from my old home, and now, here I sit, and the house is quiet.

Today I had a much needed day off.

My kids are all out visiting friends, my husband is out getting a much needed massage, and here I sit, in a quiet house.

It's lovely.

No T.V. blasting out.

No phone constantly ringing.

No cats fighting.

Just me and the house.

Then I got to thinking about how much HAS been going on, and just how much I have needed a nice quiet day like today for, it seems, to catch up on my life. To take a breather as you say.

I have sat and contemplated many things. My mind has rested. My body relaxed.

I think I am the kind of person that most people would describe as outgoing, 'up for anything', enjoys a laugh, always there for friends as and when needed, and also being a generally busy person.

I decided today that I need to slow down. I need to take time for myself and appreciate all the good things that are going on around me and to stop being all that I am. Just for a while.

Today, I have taken time to think about how lucky I am to have the friends I do. Friends who worry about me, call me, e-mail and IM me, just to check that everything is OK. Friends who, when I call and cry, can listen, then in their own way, cheer me up and take my mind elsewhere.

I have been thinking about my family. My mum who is at the front of my mind all the time now. My mum who I love more than life itself. My cousin Claire, who, is one of the most caring people I know and who I don't know what I would do without. My brothers in New Zealand, regardless of them calling me at 4 am even though I have reminded them countless times of the 18 hour time change!!!!!!!

I have thought about my kids, who have driven me completely insane with their utter disregard as to the state of the house while I have either been in hospital or away. Their whining and complaining about having to take up freshly laundered clothes from the laundry room to their bedrooms! I mean, honestly, the injustice of it all. But then, one by one, they will each do something to exonerate themselves and remind me that, while they piss me off (and they do, believe me) I still love them.

and believe it or not, I have also thought about my husband! As I said at the start of this post, I have been busy and many of the things have not included him. I have been thinking of how he has put up with me, my being ill and not being able to do a thing, me being at work, in Vegas etc., all while he has to cope with the work, the kids and the house and all the other mad and crazy things that have been going on. That massage he is getting right now? He deserves ten-fold!

and today, while I have been doing all this thinking, the house has been quiet. Almost as if time stood still, just for me. As if to say, "You know what Andi? You need this, now sit down and take a breather!"

If only it could be like this for more than one day. You know what I mean?

No comments: