Sunday, March 04, 2007

That was the year that was..........................1989

I did it. I didn't think I COULD do it, but I did.

Want to know what IT is? I raised a child to the age of 18. Me! Hardly able to look after myself sometimes, I raised a child to become an 18 year old who is hardly able to look after himself! :)

But you know what? He's 18. In the eyes of the law, he's an adult! Tough luck buster! Oh I jest.

I remember being pregnant with Nick. I remember preparing for his birth, holding his baby clothes marvelling at how one day soon, I would have a child that would be wearing them. I didn't anticipate however, the 36 hour labor and the gajillion stitches I would have.

I CAN tell you though that those long, long, loooong hours of painful labor should have prepared me for the life that I would have with Nick.

Life with Nick has been strange, funny, hard, painful, outlandish and pretty much non-stop!

But now he is 18. The day he has been waiting for all his life. Believe me, I've heard "I can't wait till I'm 18 and I'm out of here" from him more times than he's heard "I can't wait till you're 18 and you are out of here!" from us.

He HAS moved out. All I can hope is that he knows he can call, visit and talk to us whenever he wants. We are always here. (Unless we know he's coming and then we'll be out!:)

To celebrate the day of his birth, or rather to celebrate that I got one child to 18 without completely killing him or wringing his neck, I am drinking a VERY Expensive bottle of Ice Wine. I tried to find a bottle of 1989 wine but was S.O.L.

So Happy Birthday Nick, here's to you and the life you shall be leading from here-on out. May you always be as happy as you made me, may your children love you like I do, and may you never get a phone call from 'you know where' asking you to come to 'you know where' to pick your children up! :)

Happy Birthday!

Photobooth.... Nick aged 2

Nick

One down, 4 more to go! :)

No comments: