Friday, March 30, 2007

I'm Losing My Identity.....

I don't even know who I am anymore!



I write Color instead of colour, recognize instead of recognise, neighbor instead of neighbour and so on and so on. Most of the time I don't even know which is the English way or the American way! I say 'almost' instead of 'nearly'. I say 'band-aid' instead of 'plaster', I say 'cast' instead of 'pot', 'ugly and smelly' instead of 'minging' and 'drunk' instead of 'pissed'!

People used to find my 'Yorkshire' sayings cute. Half the time they didn't even know what I was saying! I could quite easily call someone a doilem and they walked off feeling complimented! Lately, I have found myself talking to myself with an accent. I sound crap and from the South.

What is going on? It doesn't help that George, who I have been married to for 8 years now speaks more Yorkshire than I do! What is THAT all about? After I have said something, I can't even ask him if that is something most Americans say or whether it was Yorkshire. He just gives me a " 'Appen I don't rightly know!" It's like we are doing a Freaky Friday type of thing......

So, today, I shall mostly be trying to retain what little Yorkshire I have left in me and if you Americans don't like it, well Bollocks, Tough Titties and Naff Off!

No comments: