Thursday, June 09, 2005

DICKS - literally!

If there is anything in this world that just flat out pisses me off it is crap customer service. If I think about it, I haven't had decent customer service in so long that I almost forgot what it was all about. Then, when you do actually get marginal service, you overplay it, thinking that you are being treated well, when in fact, you are nowhere near that mark.

Two business have exceeded in their bad customer service with me, and I am here to tell you all about them. (aren't you thrilled?)

Crap Customer Service #1 - Dicks Sporting Goods

Now, we went there the other day to buy ourselves an Eliptical Trainer.

Trainer

As big a city that Mentor is, there apparently is only one sports store that sells equipment. Upon entering the store, we quickly found the item we wanted then proceeded to hunt down a sales person. Luckily the store SELLS hunting equipment because that is exactly what you need to find someone. Sharpshooters, waders, the lot! For a store that says in it's sales pitch "backed by the best service anywhere." you would think that a sales person wouldn't be that difficult to find. WRONG. It took us 5 minutes to locate someone, and once we did, he had that glazed over expression that we have come to know and love from the McDonalds counter staff. After a couple of "huh?"s, and a few 'I have no idea what you are talking about' looks, we slowed our speech and he finally understood. We then walked - or rather he trudged, with his shoe-laces undone (I wanted to slap him upside the head and ask him if his mother taught him anything!!!!), his t-shirt hanging out too, over to the equipment we wanted, and he asked us to wait a moment and walked off.

*whistles while we waited*

He eventually came back, walked us over to the checkout and then proceeded to ask someone else how to take the order! We asked for it delivering and assembling, a feat that I thought would send him over the edge. We knew there would be a delivery charge and assembly charge, but being that we only live:

overviewmap

5.3 miles away - 13 minutes in total, we didn't think it would be such a big deal. Well, they charged us $65 to deliver and THEN an extra $20 to assemble. Now, that is alot if you ask me but we didn't have a big enough vehicle with us to take it then, nor the time to assemble. George is all assembled out. THEN, THEN, they ask us if we have any steps in the house as they charge extra! Can you believe that? They charge extra for a few stairs. I almost puked. I lost my rag a bit, and walked out, leaving George to sort it out as I was so pissed. Oh but it gets better! They then proceeded to tell George that they would call us "in a few days" to tell us when they would deliver it. They had the equipment there in the store, but it will be a few days till we get it. Wouldn't you be pissed? and no, we still haven't got that phone call.

So, now we come to company #2. SBC Yahoo and Phone

Now, as you know we recently moved. We only moved 0.9 miles and it takes 2 minutes to drive. We knew we would be able to keep the same telephone number, so I called SBC well before hand and asked for it to be transferred. They said they could do it but that the DSL connection would take a few days more, 3 business days to be exact. I wasn't happy about this but what can you do? Anyway, the day for the phone to be done came and went but still no connection. Zilch. Nada. Bollocks all. So I called the following morning and they advised that there appeared to be a problem and that they would have a technician out "sooner or later." How do you like that for a time frame? Sooner or later. Why they just didn't say "When we feel like it" is beyond me! He came out later that evening, and it was all fixed.

Tuesday, the day we were supposed to have the DSL connection came.

And went.

I called them and again, it appears there is a problem. A delay. They say we won't have DSL connection until possibly POSSIBLY the 22nd. I was pissed. I can't cope with this dial up crap. The woman on the phone told me that she would credit my account for a month but that it won't show on our bills for a "couple of months". WTF? Does anyone do anything right there and then anymore?

So, my main job today is to get in touch with our cable company and get Broadband Super-Duper High Speed Internet.

I know it seems like I'm just having a bitchy moment but I am so sick and tired of being treated like crap when I'm paying to be treated otherwise you know?

and don't even get me started on the fact that our street had a huge water leak (yes, I was woken up to the delightful sounds of Niagara Falls gushing down the road) at 4:00 am. We have no water yet, and the kids were trying everything to get off school. "I can't go to school without a shower". This from somone who gets a rash if he goes anywhere near a puddle never mind a shower!

So hopefully my day will improve. What do you think?

No comments: