Monday, April 04, 2005

Back in my day..........

So the kids had a week off school for Spring Break (also known as "Yet More Time Off For Teachers That Already Don't Do Anything"*). Today was going to be a good day for me. I have finished all my training (in record time I'll have you know) so don't need to be at work, and the kids are back at school so it was going to be all about me. Yep. BIG OLD ME!

Till I open one eye and look at the alarm clock and wonder why, at 8:10 I am still hearing my kids voices. I climb out of bed and there are my kids, still in their jim jams, and I'm thinking "I know G turned the clocks forward so what the fuck...........?".

Turns out the schools are closed today coz there is no power.

I'll give you a minute to let that sink in.






Yep. No power! Have you ever heard of anything more ridiculous in your life? Now, as the title of my blog shows, "Back in my day....."

But really. Do books need some kind of electricity that I have never heard of to run? When did the teachers forget how to write on blackboards or given that, on white boards with those bloody dry-wipe markers? They need power for this all of a sudden? Buses run on batteries, they don't need electricity, because god fobid the bloody kids should walk to school. We don't have some big metal detector that protects the students from guns and knives etc., that runs on electricity, so what part of my kids education really needs power? You have windows in every room so I know there is light. Even bloody calculators run on solar power batteries.

Take a look at this.

0012

Teacher: "Why won't they hurry up and invent power so I don't have to put up with shit like this any more"

Back in the "good old days", they didn't need power. You turned up, with your little 8x10 blackboard, a scrappy piece of chalk and something under your bum in case you got caned like that lad up there. Possibly some bread and water in case you got hungry - hhhmmmm de-lish.

You wore crap like this:

desk

and had a scary arsed teacher like this:

Mrs-Crawford_800px

You didn't give the teachers any grief, you just went to school, played hopscotch or with a hula hoop and that was it.

Nowadays, teachers piss and moan if they have to work more than 4 hours a day. My kids had a half day the day before Spring Break! (yep, not content with a bloody week off, the teachers threw in a half day - do they think us parents don't have anything better to do than blog?). But get this. The kids start school at 8:45 am and they had finished by 11. How is that A HALF A SODDING DAY?

So now we have no power. It will probably come on at about 10 but do you think they will open up school and teach for the remainder of the day? come on............ Thats what Sylvan Learning Centers are for.

So there you have it folks. My Monday Morning Moan. Thank you Mentor School District. Thank you very very much. A box of Roses is coming MY way......

* teachers - don't bitch and moan on my blog, I don't care.......

No comments: