Monday, January 31, 2005

I'm baaaaaaaaaack!

To all my regular readers out there, I'm sorry I didn't blog as often as I should have! There is really nothing worse than surfing through Explosion or Clicker or the myriad of other sites and coming to a blog that hasn't been updated in a month of Sundays...... So I'm sorry! (To tell the truth, I actually DID try and blog but as you may know, when you try to leave a comment on someone's blog, Blogger takes forever so imagine trying to post a blog from England!!!)

So where do I start? Well, I went to England to visit my mom. She has been very ill lately and being over here in Ohio, and her being in Leeds, well I had to go for my own peace of mind. So of course, the day I fly happens to be the day that snow decides to fall. In fact, it apparently was the worst snow that fell in New York for over a hundred years (Newark being my mid-point transfer for flying to Manchester). I didn't even think we were going to fly FROM Cleveland, never mind bloody land. Then when I got to Newark I thought I was screwed. This was the wing of the bloody plane! You couldn't even see the ground when we landed! Luckily, my plane was only delayed by two hours. However, we got on the plane, had to go through three de-icers (plane and de-icer should not EVER be in the same sentence!) and we even got stuck in a snowdrift! Yeah, I was really happy about flying! Mind you, once we got in the air, it was a piece of cake.

Landed at Manchester, went to Claire's house to get changed and went directly to the hospital to see my mom (who I hadn't told I was visiting, I wanted it to be a surprise!) She seemed happy to see me. I spoke to a few of the very very nice Dr's and nurses at the Hospital and my mom was discharged a few days later. I originally was going to stay for only a couple of days but extended my stay through Sunday.

Anyway, I won't bore you with all the piddly little details! I was trying to think of how I could give you all the details of my trip without it being in essay form so I have bullet pointed my trip in a way that I noticed things, and some things I noticed about things over here while I was away). (I actually think I'm making sense here but I'm probably not - it's the flu - bear with me!)

Things.......

  • I still get irritated by the political blogs. (even after a week away, they still drive me mad).
  • Blog Clicker has a new sign - a $ sign! oh and I won 13 credits my second click.
  • Airplane isn't pronounced air-o-plane (as I have said for my 35 years of being alive)
  • I watched an award show on BBC 1 that was on for an hour and a half AND THERE WERE NO COMMERCIALS! In the entire show. I thought I was in heaven.
  • If you listen to a song often enough you WILL get to like it, even though it isn't that good (The Scissor Sisters - Filthy Gorgeous) for example. Apologies Ms Mac. By the way, the drummer from Scissor Sisters is the son of Graham Garden from The Goodies. Do you remember them? A British Institution.
  • The service you get in 99% of English Bars and restaurants is Crap. Claire and I went to one in particular called The Square on the Lane. This IS a great pub but not for eating. The service was crap, and when I asked the waitress to get the Manager, she gave us the third degree! Wanted to know why? Was it a problem with her, the food etc.,? Yeah, all of it bitch! (I was going to link the bar in but couldn't even find a website.)
  • Fashion in Leeds has changed so much! (But not enough that this is acceptable footwear).
    Nasty nasty shoes (Not sure who she is but please.....)
  • I miss my relatives. I miss my brother, my mom especially, Claire and my Uncle Graham.
  • I miss my friends, Roy, Billy, Phylis, Linda, Sarah, Helen etc.,
  • I do NOT miss England. Did I tell you that it rained every day I was there? EVERY sodding day. We had sun for the first ten minutes after being picked up from the airport but that was it.
  • I miss drinking beer out of pints (lots of it).
  • I miss being able to get a cheap taxi to and from places (pub to pub in this case!)
  • People on planes are still ignorant to the people who sit behind them. How hard is it to take a look behind you to make sure the person sitting there isn't eating before you lay your seat back into a horizontal position.
  • I may not be as intelligent as I thought. (One of the words on the game hangman the plane was giving me, was Malevolent. And that was in the EASY section. Malevolent, huh!)
  • Friends change.
  • True friends don't.
  • Driving on the left side of the road is easy, but once in a while you may forget and when you do forget, make sure your passenger knows that you meant to do that :) .... (helps to get them back in the car for another drive!)
OK, I now have flu. I thought that maybe I was feeling hungover from my trip, but no, I have flu, so I am going to end this blog for the moment while I go sort myself out. If you want to see in pictures how my trip went, check out this slideshow (you can speed it up if you like). If you want to see pictures of Leeds, and there are some really pretty places, check out this.

If you want to know about any pictures in specific, just drop me a comment.

I'm glad to be back......


Comments:-

At 10:38 AM, ms.mac said...

So NOT good shoes! But Claire looks awesome! I like the way she's looking at you as if to say, "are you getting the shoes, can you see the shoes?" as you pretend to take a picure of her in order to show us all the shoes!

I did not know that the drummer from Scissor Sisters is Goodie offspring. If Scissor Sister is that brilliant with only one Goodie offspring- imagine a band sporting children from all 3! Filthy Gorgeous ROCKS!

Off to look at all the pics! (and daydream about Dave Grohl!)

At 2:11 PM, Anonymous said...

You know you wanted a pair of those boots and are just annoyed because they didn't have them in your size so don't laugh at them now! Haha!!

How many pictures of the chicken korma did you take??

Clairebear

At 4:33 PM, Katya said...

glad to have you back...its still raining in England...but you could have guessed that...lol


Post a Comment

3 comments:

Ms Mac said...

So NOT good shoes! But Claire looks awesome! I like the way she's looking at you as if to say, "are you getting the shoes, can you see the shoes?" as you pretend to take a picure of her in order to show us all the shoes!

I did not know that the drummer from Scissor Sisters is Goodie offspring. If Scissor Sister is that brilliant with only one Goodie offspring- imagine a band sporting children from all 3! Filthy Gorgeous ROCKS!

Off to look at all the pics! (and daydream about Dave Grohl!)

Anonymous said...

You know you wanted a pair of those boots and are just annoyed because they didn't have them in your size so don't laugh at them now! Haha!!

How many pictures of the chicken korma did you take??

Clairebear

Katya Coldheart said...

glad to have you back...its still raining in England...but you could have guessed that...lol